Dunrobin Castle

The seat of the Duke of Sutherland, Dunrobin Castle is just one mile from the village of Golspie and makes for an excellent day out.
This 189 room house is in fact the largest house in the Northern Highlands of Scotland. A castle was first located on the site in 1401; it was in 1845 that the 2nd Duke of Sutherland ordered for the castle to be remodelled as at present. In 1915 the castle was actually used as a naval hospital, however fire damaged much of the inside of the castle, and Sir Robert Lorimer, a Scottish architect, renovated the house after the First World War. The Castle has been open to the public since 1973.
The gardens of Dunrobin Castle are likewise attractive, and falconry shows are often put on for visitors. A museum shows off numerous ethnographic, archaeological and animal exhibits; and there is an exhibition for the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders, who were so famously part of the Battle of Balaclava. Dunrobin Castle has its own railway station.
Share and Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Google Buzz

Comments are closed.